Start 2022 with Purpose and Clear Goals
A new year begins, and like every year, we all make that eternal list of resolutions and goals for the year ahead. Some of them get accomplished, most are left halfway, and the rest don’t even start at all.
Among all the new year’s resolutions, we always hear the same ones: lose weight, earn more money, stop smoking, learn something new, eat healthily, travel more, spend more time with our family…
But why do we keep setting goals that we never achieve?
The main reason why we don’t achieve these or we leave them halfway is that they are not:
- Relevant to ourselves
- Aligned with our heart and mind
In fact, a study involving 231 people showed that:
- 25% do not achieve their resolutions even during the first week of January.
- 77% give up after the first week
- 40% give up after 6 months
- Only 8% maintain and achieve their goals during the whole year
So how can we make our goals come true?
The first thing you need to do is ask yourself the following questions:
- What is my personal purpose? Find the utmost reason because you have made the hardest decisions and most impactful deeds in your life. Put that “why” in words and connect it with the greatest events of your life. You will be amazed by the outcome.
- What do I want in my life? Look for goals that are concrete and challenging, but not impossible or fuzzy. Visualize yourself reaching your goal and enjoy it.
- How do I want it? Look for long-term goals that make you focus on them. To achieve them, turn them into smaller goals that you will achieve every day. This will offer you enough information to build a detailed plan that will offer you constant progress.
- Why do I want it? Look inside yourself. Pay attention to what is meaningful to you and to those things and events you are passionate about. Avoid focusing on actions and thoughts of what you “have” or “should” do.
Once you are clear on what you want, how you want it, and why, you can create a plan using the 12-3-1 strategy.
- First, set your goal for the next 12 months and develop, a general plan to get there.
- Then, focus on the next 3 months. What should you achieve in those three months to be in line with the annual goal? Here you define an action plan for the next quarter.
- And finally, what should you do in the next month to meet the quarterly objective? Here you must define a plan of specific actions, to which you must assign a deadline.
Each month, define the plan for the next month and every 3 months, the plan for the next quarter.
This way, you will have a defined and detailed plan that you can follow, measure, and modify during the year to achieve all the goals you set.
If you would like one of our certified coaches to work with you hand in hand to create the best plan to meet your goals and resolutions for the new year, contact us today and we will assign you a qualified professional to help and guide you through the process.