How to Develop a Career Plan That Will Bring You Fulfillment
Are you stuck trying to figure out what career you want? Or is your main challenge that you have a hard time getting there? Whatever the case, your frustration is understandable.
You may very well know what you want to do in life, but see yourself trapped in your daily bustle that doesn’t give you the time to plan it out properly. All you really need is a little help to build the path to the career of your dreams.
Now is your time to get it done and this reliable plan will help you achieve it:
- Identify careers you feel passionate about. By now, you must have identified several careers that interest you. It's normal to have your interest switch from one career path to another. This can happen as your life unfolds. Start with writing a list of those that interest you right now.
- Writing them helps to cement your interest from the get-go.
- It's important that you include all careers that interest you, regardless of how others feel about them. Write what gets you excited – the work that you dream about.
- Determine your purpose and the drivers for your interest. After writing the list, it's time to shortlist! This is when you dig deep and determine what causes your interest in each case. Be honest with yourself and identify the real reasons you're interested.
- Is it because you'd join the long list of family members who entered a specific career? Remember, this is based on what you want to do. Forget family tradition for a second; you can’t be hold accountable for an institution, but for your decisions.
- Review the financial component. How much money and time will you have to invest to start feeling successful? Do you see yourself in a career because of how much money it can make you?
Certainly, it would be great to earn a good paycheck from a career; but think long and hard about this being your main motivation; you might reach a point where a lot of money is not good enough anymore.
- At the end of the day, the recommended focus for a career choice is what makes you feel fulfilled and gives you purpose. The last thing you want is to be in a job that makes you miserable, empty and worthless. The biggest paycheck doesn’t have the ability to make you fulfill every aspect of your life.
- Find multiple ways for getting there. Now, it's time to get creative. How do you plan on getting hold of that dream career?
- Use the internet as a solid research tool. With the internet, you can find many options for embarking on a career of choice.
- Leverage your current knowledge and skillset. Even if you switch industries completely, there are multiple transferable skills that might help you save time, money, and energy in your pursuit. Talk to peers, industry experts, entrepreneurs and well-established professionals, they might give you valuable insights to build your career strategy.
- The traditional method is to pursue tertiary education. Find courses and degree programs that can give you the necessary training. Having the know-how to go along with the interest is a great combination.
- Look for opportunities to apply for internships. It's okay if an internship doesn’t pay or pays very little. Remember, you'll be getting valuable experience.
Internship tied in with knowledge gained at school will strengthen your expertise.
- Hire a career coach, and get one or two mentors. Seek their guidance, learn from them and leverage their connections. This is your time to commit, learn, emulate, and try out persistently.
You're at a crucial stage in life. Making a career decision that’s right for you is critical to your fulfillment. So take the time to focus on each step of the equation.
Become that success story and the role model other people can look up to. Do something that you'll be proud of at the end of the day.
You owe it to yourself to succeed!